Thursday, November 25, 2010

kashmir Plight

Out of 112, only 17 cases taken up for investigations.

Bereaved families reject compensation, demand justice

Irfan Quraishi

Srinagar, Nov 25: Bereaved families whose sons were killed in security forces’ firing during the recent unrest have rejected any compensation by the state government. Families who allege that their sons were killed in cold blood have demanded stern punishment to erring security forces personnel.

Astonishingly out of 112 civilian deaths across the valley, only 17 cases have been taken up for investigations. Family members of these 17 youth killed, apprehend that the investigations may be a mere eye-wash and erring security forces’ involved in the killings’ will be spared by the authorities.

‘The Newspoint’ correspondent visited five bereaved families whose cases are being investigated. Every family rejects the compensation while demanding stern punishment against erring security men.

Ishtiyaq Ahmad Khanday was killed in CRPF firing on June 29 after the police chased away the youth protesting against the CRPF firing on a teenager in Anchidora area in Mattan Chowk area in Anantanag.

This is what his dejected father had to say with regard to investigations’ and compensation, “No compensation will help bring back life of my son. We are in utter shock and life means nothing to us. We have lost everything with his death. There is every likelihood that investigations into the killing will spare the accused cops and inflict more pain on us,” Ahmadullah Khanday, father of Ishtiyaq while demanding that the erring cops should b given stern punishment.

Another family member said, “We reject the compensation. Nothing can bring back the life Ishtiyaq. He was the only supporter of the family and would work hard to earn for his family. His parents are frail and old and have grown up daughters. We will get justice only if the accused are punished”,

Shujaat-ul-Islam was killed in security forces’ firing at Laizbal area at K.P road, some two kilometres away from Anchidora near S K colony on June 29. Ear-splitting shrieks of Batoola Begum, mother of Shujaat-ul-Islam tore through the streets of town as many women failed to console the mother.

When asked about the investigations and compensation offered by the state government, Batoola broke and did not stop crying. Batoola was already been rendered widow as her husband died a natural death few years before.

“I am living a life for the sake of it. All my dreams have been shattered with the death of my son. I do not want any compensation in lieu of sacrifice of my son. All I want is the stern punishment against accused cops,” Batoola heckled after regaining conciseness.

Batoola who has been given Rs five Lakh cheque by the government said that she will return it to the Prime Minister. “I don’t want money. It will not heal my wounds. He was everything for me after my husband’s death. I want Justice,” she said in a muzzled voice.

Daughter of Ghulam Nabi Mir, another victim killed in security forces’ firing. “My father was killed in cold blood. We are living a miserable life and not able to continue studies. Though we face immense difficulties but reject any compensation offered by the government. We want a stern punsihenment to the accused,”

Gulshana Akhter, wife of Ghulam Nabi Mir said, “I will not sell my husband’s blood for Rs five lakh. All I want is punishment against the accused cops, who snatched my husband from me”,

Mohammad Ashraf Matoo, father of Tufail Ahmad Matoo said, “I do not want any compensation. If at all government want to compensate the loss of life of my son, it should award stern punishment to the accused cops, which is unlikely in a state virtually ruled by police. I will fight for justice till last breath,”

Shahana Azhar, mother of Irshad Ahmed Parray, victim of the security forces firing said, “My son was innocent and held books in his hand when he was killed. Money can’t bring back the life of my son. I want justice which will come only after the punishment is given to the accused cops”,

No comments:

Post a Comment